What are the favourite things about where you live? Obviously the highlight for me is living by the sea, but I also love the town of Bridport, even in the winter - let me show you some of my favourite buildings.
This is Bucky Doo Square and is always a hive of activity on a Saturday morning with live music and it is the place where everyone congregates at times of celebration, such as the famous annual Bridport Hat Festival ....
The oldest building in Bridport is the Chantry dating back to the 1253. It was once used as a Priest's house. The Council have recently put it on the market, it is a shame that it will fall into private hands.
Bridport had a strong dissenting tradition - this led to many different non-conformist chapels being built in the town during the 18th and 19th century. Following a recommendation from Brenda at Brenda I have been reading many of Tracey Chevalier's novels. Even my husband who is not usually interested in historical novels has been enjoying reading them. I was quite surprised when I picked up The Runaway to discover that it started in Bridport and mentions the Quakers Meeting House. Has anyone read it?
![]() |
| Bridport Quakers Meeting House |
The Unitarian Chapel in the Garden has a lovely dove cote outside and inside upstairs the box pews are now used to sell donated second hand books. I always love to rummage through old books, you never know what you may find. Looking the opposite way and facing each other is another magnificent church!
The Methodist chapel is now the popular Arts Centre,
The Electric Palace is another popular entertainment location. It was the second cinema in town and opened in 1926. Today it is used for films and also for live music. The art deco interior is wonderful.
There has been lots of work going on around Bridport during the winter. it makes it difficult to take a picture in some locations!. The pavements are been dug up by the Electricity Board,
There are many winding streets and further places to explore.
There are many independent shops which make shopping a pleasure and a unique experience.
I should point out that it is not usually this empty! We were up early on a Sunday morning while everyone else was probably still in bed!
I would love to hear about your home town too.
Sarah x
Sarah x















0 Yorumlar