Michael was an avid reader, a talented carpenter, electrician, plumber. He could build a house. Re-build an engine. He taught himself to repair antique clocks. He had, in my eyes, the potential to be successful and happy. Yet, with all of that, his attitude was reflected in his favorite phrase, "Life sucks and then you die." He made that true... for him. To this day, I cringe whenever I hear anyone make that statement.
In his eyes, nothing was ever enough. Nothing was ever quite right. But, he wanted all he wanted without effort. He wanted easy. He wore me down. I wore myself down trying to create a life that needed two people participating equally.
Finally, I realized that I was disappearing. I had allowed myself to become almost completely absorbed by him. I had no goals or dreams for myself. I existed entirely to nurture him and his life. I knew then that if I continued living that way, that I would eventually fade away... and die. My self would be gone forever. I would cease to exist. I had to leave.
Anyone who knows me well, knows that there are very few things I do quickly. I am a planner. I am an analyzer. I am becoming more spontaneous... slowly. But, eleven years ago, I wanted to be as prepared as possible. I spent the next year saving money. Michael was unemployed for the first nine months of that year.
February 1, 1997 I rented a small apartment about five miles north of where we lived. Michael and I were working opposite shifts, so I was able to move small loads to the apartment while he was at work. I was a nervous wreck.
March 1, 1997 I told Michael that I was moving out. He said nothing, but I could see the muscles in his jaw contracting. He wouldn't look at me. He kept staring at the television. I asked him if he had anything to say, if he wanted to talk. Almost in a whisper, he finally replied, "What's to talk about? Your mind's made up." I spent that night in a fitful sleep on the couch. The next morning I loaded more of my things in my car and drove to my apartment. I don't remember my first night there.
0 Yorumlar